NRP 68 in five synthesis reports
The thematic synthesis reports have been completed. They cover the results of the 25 research projects and are the result of a process involving a wide range of stakeholders.
NRP 68 has placed great emphasis on open and transparent communication - both internally and with stakeholder representatives. One of the key concerns was finding a common language in which experts from science and practice talk about the sustainable use of soil as a resource. The relevant areas in the context of NRP 68 are "environment", "agriculture" and "spatial planning".
Shaped by a process involving a wide range of stakeholders
The synthesis process started with discussions between NRP 68 researchers and experts from federal and cantonal offices, economic and environmental associations as well as from the private sector. The discussions focussed on the intermediate results of individual NRP 68 projects. The workshops generated important input for the preparation and planning of the synthesis reports, which place the research results in a larger context in line with stakeholders needs and develop specific tools, concepts and strategies for practitioners and administrators.
In the participatory workshops, those responsible for the thematic synthesis reports presented their concepts and drafts to the members of the advisory groups for discussion. The authors had to decide how important different feedbacks were and include them in their further work if appropriate. Finally, the steering committee approved the final drafts of the five thematic synthesis reports.
The thematic synthesis reports look at the results of individual research projects against the backdrop of a specific challenge. They cover the broad spectrum of research conducted in NRP 68 and have the following titles:
- Thematic synthesis TS1: Soil and food production (as of 26 April 2018)
- Thematic synthesis TS2: Soil and environment - soil organic matter, greenhouse gas emissions and physical pressures on Swiss soils. (as of 26 April 2018)
- Thematic synthesis TS3: A soil agenda for spatial planning (as of 3 May 2018)
- Thematic synthesis TS4: Soil Information Platform Switzerland BIP-CH - soil information, methods and tools for a sustainable use of soil as a resource (as of today)
- Thematic synthesis TS5: Ways to a sustainable soil policy (as of 3 May 2018)
The thematic synthesis reports can be downloaded from the NRP 68 website as of the date mentioned above. Printed copies can be ordered free of charge from the SNSF (print in May 2018). The French versions will be available later.
The thematic synthesis reports will be presented at two events:
19 April 2018: Annual Conference of the Swiss Soil Science Society
- TS1: Soil and food production
- TS2: Soil and environment
- TS4: Soil Information Platform Switzerland BIP-CH
2 May 2018: Joint conference of VLP-ASPAN and NRP 68
- TS3: A soil agenda for spatial planning
- TS4: Soil Information Platform Switzerland BIP-CH - soil information, methods and tools for a sustainable use of soil as a resource
- TS5: Ways to sustainable soil policy
- Thematic synthesis report TS4: Soil Information Platform Switzerland BIP-CH (in German) (PDF)
- Annual Conference of the Swiss Soil Science Society
- Joint event of VLP-ASPAN and NRP 68